Thursday, June 30, 2011

Out of Office Reply

I wanted to take a picture of it in the fading light as I looked back through the open door. Computer screen installing updates, strangely clean desk, a few demure scores on the piano. My camera battery was used up in Budapest, though, and my arms were full of presents and my black suit jackets and a few folders of music and my bag. So I locked the door and walked across the plaza, looking up at my windows.

Last show, goodbyes, hugs, giddiness. I am no longer new. Screw you, Everest, I'm standing on you.

And of course, the boundary is false. Other transitions continue all around me. A wedding, a funeral, the first words of a foreign language, an anniversary, breakfast, lunch, haircut, Tuesday The wide, wide world.

There's so much more to tell, but the office is closed.

Schönen Sommer wünsch ich euch allen!

dkz

No comments: